Your jewelry can be a souvenir of a special moment, a gift from a loved one or an item you bought just for you. Whatever their story, these tips will help you enjoy life-long fun.
Keep your jewelry clean
- Always apply makeup, hairspray and hand lotions before putting on your jewelry, not after.
- Use a brass liquid cleaner to wipe fancy jewelry made of brass, tin and other metals.
- Remove sweat and skin dander from metal bracelets and rings using an old toothbrush dipped in a 50-50 mixture of vinegar and water.
Diamonds are eternal
It is true that diamonds are among the hardest materials known to man, which means yours will be able to last almost forever. Here’s how to clean them thoroughly to make sure they look their best.
- Get rid of the film left by dirt, fingerprints, lotions and cooking oils by dipping your diamonds for about half an hour in a water solution with a few jets of liquid hand soap.
- Rub the item with a soft brush (an old toothbrush will work), then rinse and dry.
- Always remove your diamond ring when working with strong chemicals.
The pearls are delicate
Unlike diamonds, pearls can deteriorate and must be handled with care.
- Never use chemical cleaning agents for jewelery, strong soaps, or even abrasive brushes or cloths to clean the beads.
- Wipe the items with a soft cloth slightly moistened with water.
- Let them dry before putting them away.
Take care of your cameo
Cameos are made from delicate materials such as coral and shell, which need to be protected from drought and dirt. The key to making sure your hard cameo is cleaning and moisturizing it a few times a year, since drought can make it crack or burst.
- Wash the item in hot water with a few drops of liquid dish detergent.
- Dry it with a soft cloth.
- Apply a little fine oil with a cotton ball. Olive oil, mineral oil and baby oil will all work very well.
- Let it dry all night.
- Wipe off any oil that you can still see with a soft cloth.
- Keep the cameo away from heat, light, and moisture.
To give your cameo a fresh and surprising scent, try this trick of yesteryear: instead of mineral oil or baby, moisturize the product with scented tea tree oil, available in pharmacies.
Restore this spark of gold
Have your gold necklace or ring lost their luster? Follow these steps to restore your favorite gold items to their former glory.
- Place the item in a solution of 125 milliliters (1/2 cup) of ammonia and 250 milliliters (1 cup) of water.
- Soak for 10 minutes.
- Remove the item and shine it with an old toothbrush.
- Dry it with a soft cloth.
Make your money shine
Taking care of your favorite silver items is as easy as possible.
- Clean the item with a mild detergent.
- Make it shine with an anti-tarnish remover.
Give new life to your favorite article
- Refile a pendant that has fallen with a needle and thread.
- Cover the surface of a ring or bracelet with clear nail polish if you have an allergic reaction.
Take good care of jewelry by following these simple tips and you will be assured that they will keep their best look for years to come.